LYNGPopulation 905

 

 

A village nestling in the valley of the River Wensum.

 

It lies in the heart of Norfolk - 14 miles West of the City of Norwich, and 6 miles North-East of the market town of East Dereham.

 

Lyng is divided into two areas - The Street which has very old houses and buildings (such as St. Margaret's Church) going back hundreds of years, and The Common which has the more modern houses of less than 100 years old.

 

Lyng has a village shop, a garage, a primary school and pre-school, a village hall, and a floodlit multi-sports area and outdoor Bowls Club. There is also an indoor bowls center and Country Club, a Riding School and a pub.

 

St. Margaret's Church, Lyng  Grade II* listed, stands at the heart of the old village. The earliest stone church has stood on this site for 1,000 years, since the times of King Canute. The patron saint has changed three times in the last 400 years - originally St. Michaelís, it changed to St. Margaretís in 1652, then became St.Clements during the 19th Century, reverting back to St. Margaretís by 1906.

The porch is 15th Century, as are the Perpendicular windows in the nave. The church was greatly restored early in the 20th Century with pinnacles on the tower and the buttresses changed from tapering to stepped. The chancel was enlarged too. In 1991 internal additions were built, and in 2014 the roof was retiled and extensive repairs carried out to the tower, confirming that throughout its history the church has been loved and cared for, and today's active congregation have just the same devotion.

 

 

The tower houses a fine set of 5 bells. 

 

See also† http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/lyngmargaret/lyngmargaret.htm